Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Engaged in New York

December 3, 2008



I hope you're all doing well! I know many of you have e-mailed me, curious about what happened in New York. Well, here's the story.


As many of you know, we had been planning to go to New York for a few weeks. Initially we were going to go to visit Tom's mother's family in Connecticut for Thanksgiving, and then go to New York in the days following. After talking to Tom's parents a little more, they decided not to go. Tom said, "Why let that keep us from going?"

We left Tuesday night and drove all the way through until we arrived in Parsippany, New Jersey. We had decided to save a couple bucks by staying there instead of paying top dollar for a NYC hotel. Wednesday night we went to a quaint Italian restaurant in Parsippany, and got to sleep early because we wanted to take Zachary to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Thursday morning we got up early and took the train into Penn Station and watched the parade for about 1.5 hours. We noticed that Zachary was getting a little anxious about going to F.A.O. Schwartz as we had promised him, so we decided to hop on the subway and take him to the toy store. We spent over four hours there! It was so much fun. Zachary was able to play with so many toys, while at the same time giving us an idea of what he would like for Christmas. Coolest of all...we got to play on the "Big Piano". I have wanted to do that since I was a kid.

After leaving F.A.O. Schwartz, we walked down 5th Ave and looked into some shops that were open. Before I knew it we were in Rockefeller Center in front of Radio City Music Hall and the entrance to the Rockefeller Building. Tom then suggested, "Why don't we try to get a table at the Rainbow Room, or the Rainbow Grill?" We walked up to where they sell the tickets for the observation deck of the Rockefeller Building and asked if there were any tables available. They told us that the entrance was on the other side of the building, they were booked up, and that they had a dress code. So Tom said he wanted to walk around to the other side and see what we could do, and we did.



Upon arriving to the other side, there were quite a few people ahead of us in line and the gentleman who was directing people told them that the Rainbow Room was booked up, and they were turned away. When we walked up, Tom told asked if there was a table for three available. The gentleman gave Tom a funny look, handed him a menu and said, "It's Thanksgiving, so the prices are a little higher. I just don't want you to be surprised when you get upstairs." Tom looked at the menu, closed it and handed it back and said, "We'd like to have dinner." The man was obviously surprised at this. We definately were not dressed to their strict dress code, but he walked us to the elevator and said, "Enjoy your dinner." I was shocked that we were able to get in.



When we arrived on the 65th floor of the Rockefeller Building, the host greeted us. Tom told him that we wanted a table for three. The host asked, "Who sent you up here? I am all booked up?" Tom told him that the gentleman on the first floor sent us up. The host said, "Ugh. Ok, check the coats and I'll see what I can do." Tom went to check the coats, and as Zachary and I were waiting there, the attitude of the two men standing at the door seemed to really change. One of them went to their Thanksgiving display and retrieved a small decorative turkey. He came back and asked Zachary, "Do you like turkey?" Zachary nodded, and the man handed Zachary the little turkey. The man said, "There ya go little guy. A souvenir from New York." Tom came back, and the host seated us.



The view from out table was out of this world. It was very hard for me to pull my eyes from it. The whole city was below us and the lights just sparkled. It was breathtaking. I got up to take a few pictures, and then the photographer offered to take our picture. I was really surprised when Tom said that he'd like to because he's usually not into all of that.



After taking the picture we went back to our table and the waiter asked what we would like to drink. I told him that I wanted a Diet Coke, and Tom then asked me if I would like wine instead. I looked at him funny when he asked me this because he doesn't drink, and never suggests that I do. I asked him if he was sure, and he nodded. "It's Thanksgiving, and we have a lot to be thankful for." I asked the waiter if I could have a glass of Riesling, and he told me that he didn't have Riesling by the glass. Tom then jumped in and said, "Let's get a bottle, and I will have a glass, too." This threw me a little, but I took it in stride because I try not to read into anything these days. It doesn't serve me well to do so.

The waiter returned with the bottle of wine, and a basket of various breads. When the waiter left, Zachary asked if he could have some bread, and Tom told him no. I couldn't understand why Tom wouldn't let him have any bread. He kept telling him that he had to wait a bit. Tom looked up at me and began to speak, but his voice was quivering. He said, "This has been the best year of my life, and I love you so much." I told him that I really loved him and that I was so happy. He then looked at Zachary who was sitting between us and asked, "Can I give your mommy a kiss?" Zachary grinned and nodded. Tom walked around the table and when he approached my chair he got down on his knee and removed a small box from his pocket. I gasped! I couldn't believe it! He then asked me, "Would you be mine for the rest of our years?" I shrieked, "YES!" I was overjoyed; crying and laughing at the same time. I don't remember ever being so happy in my life. I hugged him so tight, and all the while he kept saying, "Open it, open it." I let go of him and opened the silver box. Inside was the most perfect ring that he had made for me. It really is amazing.


Tom returned to his chair just in time for the waiter to come back to check on us. He asked if everything was ok, and I grabbed his hand and said, "It sure is! Look what he just gave me!!" He shouted, "Oh my God! This is great! You have to celebrate!" He ran to the bar and said, "Get me a bottle of champage! They just got engaged!" I could not stop smiling. We enjoyed our meal, and soon they brought out our desserts, but they didn't just bring the three slices of pie that we ordered...they brought us every dessert they had and more champagne! They spoiled us the entire night, and even let us get a picture with them before we left.





Needless to say after three glasses of wine and two glasses of champagne I was more than a few sheets to the wind that night. When I woke up the next morning I was afraid it was a dream, that it wasn't real, but I looked at my hand and the ring was there, and the man I love with everything I have was next to me. I couldn't believe it. I get to marry this man! This man who is so loving and caring and unlike any other soul I have ever encountered. He's selfless and thoughtful, and I am so blessed that I will one day be calling him my husband.

I know what many of you are wondering...so when's the date? Both Tom and I agree that we are in NO rush what so ever. We do want to buy a house together, so there are a few things to get in order before that happens. I asked Tom if we could have a small wedding, and he told me that we can do whatever I want, and that he would actually prefer that. It will probably consist of family and one or two of our best friends. The reason I want to do it this way is because I think that in larger weddings (some, not all) you lose sight of what its all about. This huge commitment becomes more about the drinks or food you're serving than the people who are dedicating the rest of their lives to each other. We don't want to lose sight of what we're doing, so I truly hope that no one is offended by this.

I have never in my life been so sure or so happy. I am just overjoyed and I feel so blessed. I used to wonder if I would end up like that scene in Bridget Jones Diary where she says that she fears she will die alone in her apartment, and eaten by wild dogs. I did think I would be alone, and honestly never thought I would get remarried. I am so glad I was wrong! :)

Thank you all so very much for all of your well wishes. I love you all and I am so lucky to have you in my life.


Love,
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment